Saturday, May 10, 2008

Feelings of Inadequacy Unite!

So I got to play acoustic tonight from 4am-6am . . . it was a lot of fun, and I did pretty good (at least, I think so). 

Beforehand, though, I was definitely fighting feelings of inadequacy.

I was filling in for probably the best acoustic player I've seen in a long time (no offense to all my friends who play acoustic really well) . . . Cassie Campell. She's basically awesome at everything she does, which includes playing acoustic, playing bass in the best band on campus, playing drums, and leading worship.

Yeah.

Apparently I did pretty good, since they turned me up in the mix (which I rarely hear the guitar in any mix here) and the band said I did good . . . and people tend to not lie here . . . at least not that much . . . The electric player said he reminded me of the good porridge goldilocks found . . . "not too hot and not too cold" as in I had good rhythm and picking skills. . . I wasn't too "lead" oriented or too "rhythm only" oriented. That was encouraging.

So, yeah. I still feel inadequate.

Yeah.

Dad, thanks for humbling experiences :)
Help me not to be too hard on myself.
And be able to take compliments.
And be confident in what abilities You have given me.
Thank You once again to be able to play music to worship You with.
You rock.
No, seriously. You rock.
I love You.
So be it.

2 comments:

taters and tots said...

Glad you enjoyed that. I know the ones listening/worshipping with you were blessed, just like we always are.

Unknown said...

I listened. You did sound good. Not that I have this really great ear, but you did sound good and the guitar was very distinguished on the web!

Miss You!

PJ