Saturday, March 29, 2008

Distractions

So, when you're used to only praying . . . well . . . not actually very much . . . being put in a situation where you're in a prayer room for 6-8 hours every day . . . you start to realize how distractible you . . . hey, is that some sticky stuff on my tea cup? . . . I must have missed with the honey . . . oh, what was I doing? . . . oh yeah, the blog . . .

No seriously, I'm realizing how prone to distraction I am, and how easy it is to find myself thinking of the most random things instead of focusing on God, or what we're supposed to be praying about . . . not that I think God doesn't understand or anything, it just makes me kind of ashamed that I can't focus on him for more than a few seconds at a time (and it's seriously seconds . . . I don't think I make it any longer than a minute).

Last night, during the last hour (5am-6am) I was really REALLY trying, but I was so stir-crazy that I couldn't keep my legs from bouncing, counting down the minutes. Tonight, I caught myself looking down at my feet and seeing how my pant legs kind of hike up when I sit down, so my extremely white socks show and look kinda funny against my dark pants and shoes, and thinking, "man, that looks really goofy; I really should've worn darker socks". And then I proceeded to think about blogging about it later, because it struck me as another distraction.

{sigh} I'm very glad God knows me. He probably laughs at me when he sees my attention snap back to Him (in a good way).

Dad, help me to know You more.
Help me to calm and focus my thoughts
toward You.
Help the to dim the world around me
to turn down the volume
to put it on slow-motion
So I can see You and You alone.
So be it.

1 comment:

Traci said...

you just made me laugh! that's human nature right there, and you just voiced what so many people try to spiritually (pharisee-ically?) pretend doesn't happen to them!

i'm sure God does laugh at us, (in a good way), but i'm sure He is please by our desire to press into Him.... even if we wander....!

~Traci