Friday, July 11, 2008

Recording / Something else

So we've been recording a guy named Justin Blake (a friend of Brett's) at our house today. He's finishing up a full record that we did several tracks for about six months ago. It's been really fun and good. He actually brought a grand piano into our living room to record it.

Yeah, that's right.

Of course, he's a professional piano restorer/tuner/mover . . . so he knows how to do such things. The piano he brought in has a gorgeous sound to it. I always forget how it feels to play on a real piano . . . especially one that has great action. This particular one is 100 years old, but looks like it could be almost new. It still has the original ivory keys and everything.

It was a beast to mic up right, but once we got it, it sounds awesome. He wanted me to play on one of the songs, and it was really cool to hear it in the studio monitors. It sounded goooooood.

And Justin and I got to talk for a while too, about my time at IHOP, and the common thread of themes that are popping up all around the world (but especially in America) about a re-revelation of both the holiness of God and his desire/requirement for us to be holy, and the absolute passion and intense love that He has for us.

There seems to be a sub-current of people within the church who look at the "body of Christ" and say "there has to be something more". It's not a judgmental thing. We are no better than anyone else, but merely an opening of eyes to see the truth that is written in God's Word, and actually believing it means what it says.

I don't know. It just seems to me that God's doing something in the church. Maybe He's preparing us for something. Something bigger than your average cookie-cutter, smile-and-nod, feel-good, hell-fire-and-damnation, country-club-ish, snake-bitin', seeker-sensitive, post-modern, relativistic, or whatever brand of church this country breeds that picks one thing out of the Bible and over-emphasizes it and forgets about everything else. (I personally enjoy the country-club church. . . it's nice and comfortable, and you have expensive toys to play with)

Maybe He's preparing us for something big. I mean BIG. Something like an old-time revival. I'm talkin' Book of Acts style. The problem/blessing of those kind of revivals are . . . they don't come without persecution. Or being in the midst of it.

Or maybe it's the latest Christian fad. We do have those, after all. WWJD, anyone?

But I don't think so. I think God is calling all of those of His disciples that want more of Him. That truly desire to be men/women after His heart . . . to seek only for the joy that comes from knowing Christ . . . "to know the love of Christ that passes knowledge", as it were.

Lord, let it be.

Dad, I love You!
You are so good to me.
I don't even have any idea what that means,
but I know it's true.
You are truly good to all.
And You LOVE ME.
I can't even fathom it.
Not dispassionate, sterile, cold, analytical love.
But PASSIONATE, FIERY, ZEALOUS, JEALOUS, AWE-STRIKING, HOT-AS-LAVA, COLD-AS-ICE, BEYOND LIMITATION, INFINITELY POWERFUL, STRONGER THAN DEATH LOVE!!!
Even as I write the words I don't understand.
But I want to.
And I want to love You more,
even if it is infinitely smaller
in comparison to Your love for me.
Dad, let it be! Let it be!
Let it be that I am found only in You!
That who I am is lost and is only found in Christ.
That I become worthy of my name.
Thank You, Dad.
You are so good to me.
I love You!
So Be it.

2 comments:

Prayer Warrior said...

It has been a hard week. I have gone through feelings of "Well, were all the things the Lord showed me at IHOP a dream and not real anymore?" I have felt disconnected since we did not have the youth service Wednesday night. I did spend 3 hours at the Ministry Center at AHCC in the prayer room with IHOP-KC prayer room online. That is what I needed. It helped me to "feel" that the changes He made in my life are permament, and not just temporary. I am still pressing in intercession, especially for you four children of mine as well as the youth ministry. That is the main job the Lord wants me to do, anyway. Please pray for me to have favor with BISD for a teacher aide or library aide position. I go to talk to Mr. Lawrence on Monday. I'll also go to United and turn in an application for part-time employment to supplement my job with BISD. Hopefully, both of us will know what the Lord wants us to do--both in the secular job realm as well as the areas of ministry He wants us to serve. I love you. Karen

maadio said...

Dude... let it be. I couldn't have put it better myself. I've gotten really frustrated a few times since we left the bubble, but as I was reminded tonight by a septagenarian prayer master at my parents' SB church: just as in the days of Elijah, God always preserves a remnant. And it's because of the prayers of that remnant that rain and revival will once again hit.

...And I love how you're one of the people I can say "revival" around and not have them think in small terms like Shake-and-Bake or some detestable thing involving greasy hair and a tent and man's determination to do something. Keep dreaming buddy. It's coming. Either that or He's coming.

Well... Love you bro. See you around.
-matt